It’s that time of year again – Grant writing season! Every organization across the board is gearing up to pull their projects together and apply for the funding that will deliver many worthy services and programs to communities that appreciate and need them. Before the countless hours go into research and drafting applications, make sure your organization REGISTERS first! Below is the registration and application date for the Ontario Trillium Foundation CAPITAL GRANTS, that is fast approaching:
- Organization registration deadline: October 4, 2017, 5 p.m. ET.
- Application deadline: October 25, 2017, 5 p.m. ET.
What is a Capital Grant?
The Ontario Trillium foundation has split their grants into several categories, breaking down funding to better serve programs and services. The purpose of a Capital Grant is to broaden access, improve community spaces and promote energy efficiency to achieve a Priority Outcome.
Some of the activities funded include:
- Buying and installing equipment
- Doing renovations, installations and repairs
- Building structures or spaces
- Making better use of technological resources
Amount: From $5,000 to $150,000
Term: Up to 1 year
Some tips to make your application succeed:
- Complete the OTF Self-Assessment Tool : First-time applicants are advised to complete the self-assessment tool to ensure you are eligible for funding- http://www.otf.ca/apply-grant/self-assessment-tool. If you have any questions, you are encouraged to contact the Ontario Trillium Foundation Support Centre at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Give Yourself Adequate Time. Successful grant writing is not done at the last minute. You should be researching and formulating ideas for your grant application at least two months prior to the deadline.
- Read the Guidelines. Always read the program guidelines and application form to determine that your proposed work is a strong fit for the program’s deadlines and objectives.
- Write Clearly and Directly. Answer all of the questions as directly as possible and thoroughly outline the steps that will be taken, key individuals involved, and partners engaged to successfully complete your project. If you are not sure about the meaning of a question, ask the Support Centre.
- Outline Your Action Plan. Clearly outline the steps that will be taken to ensure the successful completion of your project. Ensure that your plan is detailed and in line with your proposed budget and objectives.
- Create a Realistic Budget. Research the real cost of activities, services, materials, fees, and equipment. Talk to others who have done similar work. Research potentials partners and other funders who may be able to support project costs. Include in-kind or donated services and materials in your budget or budget notes.
- Follow Instructions and Triple Check Your Grant. Do not put so much hard work into a grant application only to miss the deadline! Make sure you check the deadline time.
- Ensure you engage an external reviewer- ask an external reviewer to read through your application to ensure you have communicated your plan accurately and concisely.
Grant Applications can seem like a daunting process, but given enough time to research and organize, the process will be simplified. Wishing everyone the best of luck with the OTF Capital Grant 2017 application process!